Carlisle Family YMCA Construction Updates
Construction is under way!
View the building plan designs below!
During the first several months of construction the impacts to Y members will be:
- West Street entrance closed. Use the Arch Street entrance.
- Less on-site parking available.
- Courts will be temporarily out of service for renovations. Court #1 will return as soon as possible.
Construction will take approximately 22 months. Work will be completed in phases so the Y can continue to serve you.
Some changes to schedules and services will occur. This is unavoidable due to the length and scope of this project. The Y will make every effort to provide advance notice to members when facility use, or program delivery may be disrupted.
On-site parking will be limited until the new parking area is built during Phase 2. Please utilize on-street parking in the area.
- November 2019 - Break ground on Phase 1
- Summer 2020 – Relocate services within the building
- Late Summer 2020 - Demo former school building, start Phase 2
- Late 2021 – Complete Phase 2 and other interior renovations
Phase 1 – 10 months of construction to create a two-story addition on the west side of the building.
Preparation: Limited on-site parking. Courts close for a limited period.
Demolition: The West Street entrance will be closed. Building access will be through Arch Street entrance. Court #1 will remain. Courts #2, #3 and Squash court will be removed. A new court will replace the squash court for a total of 2 racquetball/handball courts.
When Construction is Complete:
- New north and south entrances will lead into a main hall and lobby area with welcome center desk, waiting area, restrooms, elevator, offices and stairway to second floor.
- Member gathering area, meeting rooms, Child Watch and Kids Adventure Zone room.
- Two racquetball / handball courts will be available.
- Hallway will provide access to future fitness studios, locker rooms, gymnasium, pool and all-purpose auxiliary gym
- Large Wellness Center with accompanying offices will be accessed via stairs and elevator
Phase 2 – 10-12 months of construction starting late summer 2020 will create a two-story addition on the north side of the building, a new parking lot and significant renovations to remaining Y facilities.
Preparation: Some services will be temporarily moved into the newly completed Phase 1 addition until Phase 2 spaces are built:
- Wellness Center will move into second floor space
- Child Care will move temporarily into first floor spaces
- Administration will move temporarily into first floor space
- Fitness Classes will be relocated to current fitness center space to become an auxiliary gym in Phase 2. Note: class schedules may be modified during this period.
Demolition: The former school building will be removed after Phase 1 is complete in summer 2020.
When Construction is Complete:
- New large Fitness Studio
- New Cycling Studio
- A new Child Care Center with separate secure entrance
- Completely renovated adult and youth locker rooms, new family changing areas.
- Current Fitness Center will become an auxiliary gym
- Maintenance Shop, custodial support and storage areas
- New Mind & Body Studio
- Gymnasium and Sports Office
- New Administrative Suite
We are still accepting donations for the project. You can download a pledge form at the bottom of this page or click the link below to make an online contribution.
We are excited to show you some of the final designs:
We want to thank our Campaign Leadership Cabinet for all they have done over the past three years:
- Hubert X. Gilroy, Chair
- Ray "Buz" Wolfe, Jr., Vice Chair
- Robert Long, Honorary Chair
- Kenneth Tuckey, Honorary Chair
- Marcia Drozdowski, Executive Director
- Cate Mellen, Development Director
- Mark Bishop
- Damien Elias
- Sondra Wolfe Elias
- Karen Faryniak
- Zachary Flynn
- Ryan Heishman
- Steve Kaufman
- Debbie Keyser
- Tara Long
- Duff Manweiler
- Debbie Masland
- Don Mowery
- Rob Rahal
- John Ulsh
- Bob Unger
We put together the following video to say thank you to everyone who helped with the campaign:
Thank You Hubert!
Hubert X. Gilroy, Chair of the Here for All. Here for Good. Capital Campaign, was awarded the Carlisle Family YMCA’s Lifetime of Service Award at the campaign celebration on Thursday, April 11. This is only the second time in the Y’s 160-year history that this award has been presented. It is intended to honor an exemplary record of lifetime service to the YMCA.
Hubert joined the Carlisle Family YMCA in 1978 while attending the Dickinson School of Law, and last fall reached his 40th anniversary of Y membership. Through his many years of service and leadership Hubert has raised nearly $12 million for our YMCA. Hubert’s positive impact on the Carlisle community is beyond measure.
You can see a special version of the above video we put together to thank Hubert specifically for all he has done for our Y.
This page on our website will be the go-to place for the most up-to-date information on the campaign. Click the blue button below for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). And please check back often to see the latest updates.
For information on project details, contact Executive Director Marcia Drozdowski at 717 243 2525 ext 201 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on donating to this campaign, contact Development Director Cate Mellen at 717 243 2525 ext 203 or email@example.com.
Last Updated: Friday, November 8, 2019